Who doesn’t love a cream puff? These profiteroles have a delicious crunchy chocolate crust, tender pastry, creamy filling! Inspired to make this after reading Lickerland by famous pastry chef and author, Jason Licker. Jason takes a French classic and infuses it with a flavorful twist.
Lickerland Profiteroles – Serves 20
White Chocolate and miso filling:
- 240g / 8 oz Valrhona Dulcey White Chocolate
- 500g / 1 pint Heavy Cream
- 60g / 1/3 cup Sugar
- 30g / 1.5 Tbsp White Miso
- 6g / 2 tbsp Gelatin
- Bloom the gelatin in 1Tbsp cold water.
- Chop the chocolate in to small bits and put it into a bowl and add the bloomed gelatin.
- Heat the cream and sugar to a boil and pour over the chocolate.
- Stir to thoroughly combine and melt the chocolate. Then strain and chill at least 3 hours.
- Transfer the filling to pastry bag or ziplock style bag to make filling the puffs easier.
Chocolate Crackle Top:
- 55g / ¼ cup (lightly packed) Light Brown Sugar
- 1g / a pinch Salt
- 45g / 3 tbsp, diced and chilled Butter
- 50g / ¼ cup + 2 Tbsp All Purpose Flour
- 5g / 2 tsp Cocoa Powder
- Put everything in a food processor and pulse until a dough forms
- Roll it out to about 1/8 inch between two sheets of parchment paper.
- Freeze it for about 20 minutes before cutting.
- 80g / 1/3 cup Whole Milk
- 80g / 1/3 cup Water
- 80g / 5 tbsp Butter
- 3g / ¼ tsp Salt
- 6g / 1 tsp Sugar
- 95g / ¾ cup A.P. Flour
- 8g / 1 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 140g / 3 eggs Large Eggs
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Combine the milk, water and butter in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- When it boils, add the flour, sugar salt and cocoa powder all at once and cook, stirring constantly until a dough forms and some of the dough starts to crust up the bottom of the pan.
- Transfer the dough to a mixer and mix on low for 30 seconds or so to cool it just a bit
- Add the eggs, one at a time waiting for the first egg to be full incorporated before adding the next egg.
- Transfer the dough to a pastry bag and pipe the dough out into 20 even rounds on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a non-stick liner.
- Bake about 20-24 minutes, rotating the pan half way through cooking.
- Cool on a rack and then split the puffs in half and fill them with the White Chocolate filling.