Super easy, super delicious.
SERVES:6 to 8 (as an appetizer)
- 1.2 lb Unsalted butter Softened
- 6 Tbsp. Ssamjang
- 16 Large oysters (Delaware Bays are a good choice), scrubbed, shucked, and reserved on the half shell with juices
- 4 Tbsp. Panko breadcrumbs, lightly toasted in a dry skillet
- 4 Tbsp Finely chopped chives
- 1 Lemon, quartered
- In a food processor, mix the butter and ssamjang until the ssamjang is fully incorporated. Scoop the butter into a quart-size ziplock bag, then seal it. And flatten the butter to a ¼-inch thickness. Chill until ready to use.
- Heat the broiler and set the rack at the top position. Arrange the oysters on a sheet pan lined with crumpled foil. Nestle the oysters carefully into the foil.
- Remove the chilled butter from the bag, cut it into pieces large enough to cover the meat of an oyster (about a tablespoon’s worth), and lay a piece over each oyster.
- Broil the oysters until the butter bubbles, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer the oysters to a plate from the broiler. Top each with a pinch of panko and chives and a squirt of lemon, and serve immediately.